The Paint Creek Trail was the first non-motorized rail-to-trail in the State of Michigan.The Detroit and Bay City Railroad Company was organized on May 16, 1871. The first passenger train arrived in October 1872. The Village of Rochester utilized the railroad to ship farm products and Avon Township utilized all five miles of the railroad for various product shipments as well. A flag-station of the railroad was located in the Goodison area of Oakland Township at Goodison’s mills. Orion Township’s principal shipping point for the rail line was located in Orion Village. The Detroit and Bay City Railroad Company later became known as the Michigan Central Railroad Company. Subsequently, prior to becoming the Paint Creek Trail, the rail line was known as the Penn Central Railroad. Penn Central Railroad abandoned the line in the 1970’s and subsequently filed for bankruptcy.
In 1981, the Trailways Commission was formed for the purpose of purchasing the abandoned Penn Central Railroad. In 1983, 10.5 miles of railroad was purchased for $450,000. Half of the money came from the Michigan Land Trust (now Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund) and the other half came from the four original trails communities, prorated based on mileage in each community.
For more information regarding the acquisition and development of the Trail, watch the following YouTube video produced by the City of Rochester Hills in 2013: