National Trails Day is Saturday, June 6, 2020. According to the American Hiking Society, “National Trails Day is the only nationally coordinated event designed to unite all muscle-powered trail activities with the goal of connecting more people to trails. Every trail beckons adventure and has a story to share with any person willing to discover it, and American Hiking Society believes these trail experiences can improve the lives of every American. A sampling of NTD events held nationally: hiking, biking, running, trail maintenance, birding, wildlife photography, paddle trips, trail dedications, health-focused programs and children’s activities”
This year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be celebrating National Trails Day virtually. The American Hiking Society has organized a digital campaign to inspire individuals to unite for the protection of trails and access to public lands during this time of social-distancing.
Celebrate National Trails Day this year by:
- Taking the American Hiking Society’s National Trails Day Pledge and committing to taking at least one action in 2020 to preserve trails and fight for equitable access to quality green space.
- Sharing why the Paint Creek Trail and other trails and natural spaces are important to you. Each day during the week of National Trails Day, we will be posting a different theme on our social media channels and asking you to share your related photos and comments. Please tag #NationalTrailsDay and @PaintCreekTrail in your posts!
- Monday, June 1: Paint Creek Trail History
- Tuesday, June 2: Wildlife on the Trail
- Wednesday, June 3: Favorite Trail Activities
- Thursday, June 4: Natural Beauty
- Friday, June 5: Favorite Locations
- Saturday, June 6: Selfie Saturday
- Encouraging the next generation to connect with the natural world. Recent studies have shown the benefits of spending time in nature to children’s mental and physical health. Head out to the trail or even your own backyard to complete this fun Scavenger Hunt!
- Joining the Friends of the Paint Creek Trail volunteer organization. Members help plan for the future of the trail and assist with its environmental stewardship.
- Donating to support the Trail. Gifts can be made via the Community Foundation of Greater Rochester or the Friends of the Paint Creek Trail.